Spending thousands or tens of thousands to process the divorce need not happen.
While the words “lucky” and “divorce” in the same sentence isn’t exactly a common combination, these days with the internet and online divorce services, it’s much easier, faster and cheaper to get a divorce without a lawyer. It’s possible and thousands of people use them all the time.
The starting point is to get a good understanding of your online divorce options. We did the research and list them out below.
Complete Case is one of the internet’s most reliable DIY divorce services. With their help, couples can skip the inconvenient, drawn-out court process to dissolve their marriage.
Signing up for Complete Case is easy:
- First, visit CompleteCase.com
- Next, choose your state. If you and your spouse are separated and living in different states, include their location on the form.
- Answer the simple questionnaire about you, your spouse, your divorce conditions, and your dependents age 18 or under.
Answer the questions on the form as accurately as you can. Complete Case uses your answers to fill out state-specific documents that you need to finalize your divorce.
Once you’re finished, you can print out your forms and take them to your local courthouse for review.
With Complete Case, you can save money by cutting out the middle man. Their basic services are highly affordable, letting you start your divorce proceedings without an attorney.
If you’re going to use Complete Case, you and your spouse need to agree on key points of contention. For example, couples who agree on child support, custody, and how they will split their shared assets are good candidates for an online DIY divorce.
Currently, Complete Case has an “A” rating from the Better Business Bureau and has been accredited since 2013. Many online divorce services lack BBB accreditation, so you’ll know you’re getting quality services when you work with Complete Case.
The standard Complete Case package costs $299 before court fees. If you buy the basic package, you’re responsible for getting your spouse’s signature and filing your forms at the local courthouse.
For an additional $299, Complete Case will take your service a step further. The Complete Case VIP Package is perfect for a fast, convenient divorce if you don’t have the time to do it yourself.
When you buy the VIP Package, Complete Case will:
- Get your spouse’s signature
- Send them their forms
- File your documents with the court
If you’re looking for an online DIY divorce option, Complete Case is a great place to start. They provide everything you need to get started, helping you file for divorce with ease.
- Signing up is straightforward and easy
- If your state will waive filing fees, Complete Case will provide instructions
- With the VIP package, Complete Case will file your paperwork for you – a service few other online divorce services offer!
- Complete Case doesn’t offer legal advice on its website. You’ll need to use another service or contact an attorney for help.
- The standard DIY divorce package has a one-month time limit – if you don’t complete the process during this period, you’ll need to pay more
2. 3-Step Divorce
Online divorce services are more common than they used to be. When they started, 3-Step Divorce was one of the first companies to offer online divorce help, providing quick, affordable alternatives to traditional attorneys.
It’s easy to get started with 3-Step Divorce. When you visit their website for the first time, they’ll ask you to answer a few basic questions about your property, debt, dependents, and assets.
Once you finish, they take your answers and auto-fill them into state-specific divorce documents. You can print your completed documents at home or have 3-Step Divorce send them to you.
The online portion of filing for divorce through 3-Step Divorce may take as little as an hour. They won’t file your documents for you, though – you’re responsible for taking them to the courthouse.
Depending on your state, you’ll pay between $300 and $500 for divorce services through 3-Step Divorce.
If you don’t have the money to pay for 3-Step Divorce up front, they’ll let you pay it over time with their convenient installment program. Best of all, you don’t have to wait until you pay to complete the process – you can file your papers right away, even if you can’t pay the fee up front.
Since their inception, 3-Step Divorce has helped more than 750,000 people file for divorce. They use Verisign data and payment encryption software to make sure your data stays safe, so you can have peace of mind when you enter your personal information.
- You can take the 3-Step Divorce process at your own pace. Don’t feel rushed to file your paperwork – they don’t put time limits on your services, nor will they charge you more for taking your time.
- Payment installments are convenient if you can’ t pay the entire fee up-front
- They provide 24/7 phone assistance so you can get help during any part of the process
- Their website’s user interface is outdated, so the experience isn’t as streamlined as you may expect
- You have to file your paperwork – they do not file it for you.
3. My Divorce Papers
Looking for the fastest divorce on the internet? Meet MyDivorcePapers.com, where couples can start their divorce in an hour or less.
If you’re going to use My Divorce Papers, signing up is free and easy. In fact, you won’t have to pay anything until you finish the process and you’re ready to file. If you want to change services at any point along the way, you’re welcome to – My Divorce Papers is obligation-free until you pay.
When you create your account, My Divorce Papers will ask you if you want a divorce, and annulment, or a legal separation from your spouse. They’ll ask you important questions about yourself, your spouse, and your children to gather key details about your case. You’ll want to list your assets, your custody agreements, and how you’ll divide your property, too.
Unlike a lot of the sites on this list, you can file a contested divorce with My Divorce Papers. They don’t require you and your spouse to agree on each point – if you’re challenging each other for custody, spousal support, or division of assets, My Divorce Papers can help.
Finished with the questionnaire? My Divorce Papers will send your answers to legally binding documents in accordance with your state’s divorce laws and regulations.
My Divorce Papers offers free consultations with certified divorce lawyers if you need help splitting assets with your spouse fairly. If you don’t want to use their services after your consultation, there’s no obligation.
During your divorce process, you’ll have a dedicated account manager through My Divorce Papers who will walk you through each individual step. They’ll help you create a parenting plan for your custody agreements and calculate asset divisions according to the laws in your state.
If your local court rejects your divorce documents for any reason, My Divorce Papers will issue a full refund of their $159 fee. The fee does not include court filing fees for your state, so budget accordingly.
- You don’t have to lift a finger; simply enter your information and My Divorce Papers fills out your documents for you
- WIth your own dedicated account manager, it’s easy to get answers when you need them
- Your divorce doesn’t need to be amicable
- Faster than other services – most customers can complete their paperwork in under an hour
- Your $159 fee doesn’t cover court processing costs, which can be expensive in some states
- Certain state-specific laws can make the process take longer
- You don’t have face-to-face interaction with a lawyer in every situation, which can be troubling for some people during such a challenging time.
4. It’s Over Easy
It’s Over Easy is one of the web’s newest divorce services. Started in 2017 by Laura Wasser – a well-known Family Law attorney – It’s Over Easy strives to make divorce as easy as possible. They offer full-service solutions that cover every aspect of an uncontested divorce – from filling out your paperwork to filing your completed forms with your local court, they’ll take care of everything from start to finish. They’ll even serve your spouse!
Unlike some divorce services that advertise as “budget-friendly” options, It’s Over Easy doesn’t cut corners to save costs. Their services start at $750 but go as high as $2,500 for parents with custody issues or support contentions.
The basic $750 package does not include filing services. You’ll need make arrangements with a processor server separately and you’ll pay your court fees on your own. The standard package is best when the couple doesn’t have kids and wants a fast, amicable divorce.
It’s Over Easy’s “Pro Package” costs $1500, ideal for customers who want a little extra help along the way. When you buy this package, they will file your paperwork for you, serve your spouse, and research your local filing laws to avoid complications.
If you want the complete experience, the “Premium Package” should offer everything you need. Along with everything above, it comes with an interactive co-parenting calendar that makes planning visitations easier – it even syncs with Google Calendars!
It also includes a child and spousal support calculator that uses your state’s divorce laws to consider financial support for members of the household.
With the Premium Package, state filing fees for you and your spouse are included. You’ll pay their one-time $2,500 and you’ll get everything you need for your divorce.
It’s Over Easy is available in all 50 states, providing email and phone support for customers. If you need help from an attorney in-person, they offer a list of divorce specialists on their website for easy access.
Their platform is beautifully designed and easy-to-use – it’s quick and easy to find what you need. With a 100% Court Acceptance Guarantee, you can rest assured they’ll start your divorce on the right track.
- It’s Over Easy is one of the only online divorce services that will file your papers and serve your spouse
- The interactive co-parenting calendar can be remarkably helpful for divorcing couples with children
- You can invite your spouse to help fill out the paperwork from their platform
- New customers can start for free
- It’s Over Easy is the most expensive option on this list. If you want a divorce on a budget, their services may be too costly.
- They do not offer annulment or separation paperwork/filings
- You won’t get a refund, regardless of the situation. If you and your spouse get back together before you finish filing, you could lose a lot of money.
LegalZoom is one of the largest online legal services in the United States. They offer thousands of legal forms, advice, and services to help people with divorce, bankruptcy, and more.
Currently, LegalZoom’s divorce services are among their most popular. Customers love their website because’s it’s easy to navigate and features a beautiful user interface. Each page loads quickly and it’s easy to find everything you need.
What makes LegalZoom one of the most popular online divorce services?
If you (or your spouse) changed their name during the marriage, they can change it back with LegalZoom. Name changes are available for no additional charge but only apply to name reversals – you can’t change your name to something new, it must be your pre-marital name.
Customer support is another major attraction for LegalZoom. Their support phone lines are open Monday – Friday from 7:00AM – 10PM CST and from 9:00AM to 6:00PM on weekends.
Your LegalZoom fee doesn’t include attorney support. If you want help from a lawyer directly they offer a one-of-a-kind Attorney Advice service, connecting you with live attorneys for an additional (but affordable) fee.
When you use LegalZoom, they’ll help you out by personally reviewing your divorce papers for consistency and completeness (available in every state except Missouri). This is a great way to make sure your paperwork is ready-to-go before sending it to the courthouse.
It won’t take long to get your paperwork through LegalZoom. They send your forms via FedEx shipping for no additional fees, which arrive in 5 to 7 business days.
LegalZoom is a national provider so you can use their services anywhere in the United States. They’ll customize your forms and your advice to your location, regardless of your state.
Since 2001, LegalZoom has been the web’s leading source for online divorces. They boast Better Business Bureau accreditation, with an “A+” rating at the time of writing.
LegalZoom costs about as much as the other leading services on this list – for a flat $499 fee, you’ll access all of their divorce services including state-specific documents for you and your spouse, a marital settlement agreement (specific to your state), and a parenting plan to outline your custody agreement and visitation arrangements.
Overall, LegalZoom has a lot to like. They’re fast, reliable, and make divorce easier than you’d expect. On the other hand, they’re more expensive than some services on this list and you still have to file your paperwork yourself – they’re a great option if you want an easy-to-follow, straightforward process but you may find a more affordable option elsewhere on the web.
- LegalZoom gives customers peace of mind about their forms by personally reviewing each document for consistency and completeness
- The free name change is great if you or your spouse need to reverse theirs after the divorce
- It’s easy to get answers when you need them, thanks to their readily-available customer support agents
- Attorney support is not included in your base fee
- LegalZoom doesn’t specialize in divorce, nor do they specialize in any state’s particular laws. Their services are fast and reliable, but you may not the in-depth knowledge about divorce you’ll find from a dedicated online divorce services
- LegalZoom is more expensive than some online divorce services and they don’t offer a payment plan
6. Rocket Lawyer
If you have a simple divorce case, you were married for a short period of time, or you share few assets with your spouse, Rocket Lawyer can be a great resource for legal documents and advice.
When you use Rocket Lawyer, you’ll pay a small fraction of typical attorney fees for help creating, filling out, and file divorce documents. It’s one of the easiest online divorce resources on the web, with an “A+” Better Business Bureau rating.
Rocket Lawyer uses a simple question-and-answer format to get information about your case, helping you complete your forms with ease. In fact, many of their resources are free – if you’re using their online chat system or email, you can ask legal questions for free.
All Rocket Lawyer legal services are free for your first seven days, giving you access to their entire document library. During this trial period, they offer free 30-minute consultations and legal advice from their on-call attorney network. If you like their services, a Rocket Lawyer premium membership costs $39.99 per month – legal documents and advice are for sale as a la carte services, too.
Like a lot of the other services on this list, Rocket Lawyer is best for uncontested divorces. If things don’t go as you plan, you will qualify for 40% off an in-person lawyer interaction through Rocket Lawyer when you’re a premium member.
Bottom line: Rocket Lawyer is a great resource. It’s inexpensive and gives you an expansive library of documents to help you with your divorce. On the other hand, it’s very DIY – you’ll need to submit your documents and get your spouse’s signature on your own.
If you want to do your own divorce and you want to do it quickly, Rocket Lawyer could be a great place to start. There’s no obligation to sign up so you can find out if it’s right for you before buying a premium membership.
- Rocket Lawyer isn’t limited to divorces. They offer legal documents and advice for dozens of cases, including bankruptcy and lawsuits.
- You’ll feel safe giving Rocket Lawyer your personal information. They keep their data under an advanced encryption system with other security features, keeping out unauthorized users.
- Their services are free for a week with a premium membership trial
- The monthly premium membership can add up if your case takes a long time
- You may only use your free 30-minute consultation for one specific legal issue – if you have other questions, you need to make separate calls
- They don’t offer as many convenience services as other online divorce websites, like submitting your documents to the courthouse
If you don’t have the funds up-front to pay for online divorce services, iDivorceForms could be the right choice for you. They’re cheaper than other services and offer payment plans to make your divorce as easy as possible.
The up-front cost for a divorce through iDivorceForms is $149. You can choose from a two or three-installment payment plan if you’re willing to pay a little more overall.
Getting started is easy – simply sign up on their website and fill out their questionnaire. They’ll fill out your divorce forms with the information so you can print them right away. Unfortunately, the $149 fee doesn’t include your state’s filing fees so you’ll want to budget those before going to the courthouse.
iDivorceForms is known for their great customer service team and their speedy services. They have an “A+” rating from the Better Business Bureau, making them one of the most reliable online divorce services.
If cost is important to you, iDivorceForms is a great place to start. It’s easy to follow their instructions, get your paperwork, and complete your filing.
The process is entirely DIY so you can complete your forms at your own pace.
- The clean interface is straightforward and easy-to-use
- Overall, their services are less expensive than other online divorce specialists
- Payment plans make covering the fees easier than ever
- Most of the process is DIY, so you need to be careful about making mistakes
- Only uncontested divorces are eligible
If price is a major concern, OnlineDivorce may be the right choice for you. They offer quick, inexpensive services for couples who want to dissolve their marriage without an attorney’s assistance. They offer lower fees than most online divorce services, making them a popular choice for customers on a budget.
Their services are convenient, too. Forms and questionnaires are simple and straightforward – you shouldn’t have any trouble entering your information to start the process.
OnlineDivorce has been around for more than 17 years, making it one of the oldest divorce services on the internet. They’ve helped more than half a million people file for divorce, giving them a long-standing reputation for quality, effective service.
Like many other online divorce services on this list, you’ll file paperwork at your own pace. You’ll start with a guided question-and-answer form where you’ll enter your location, your spouse’s personal information, and other important data about your property, children, and division of assets.
If you and your spouse agree on how you’ll divide property, debts, and custody, it won’t take long to finish your divorce with OnlineDivorce. They offer a helpful customer support line if you need help from a representative.
Once you fill out your divorce papers, OnlineDivorce will send you instructions for filing in your state. You’ll have to take it to the courthouse yourself – they do not offer delivery services for divorce papers.
If your local court doesn’t accept the paperwork, they offer a 100% money-back guarantee. Their services start at $139, which gives you access to all the documents you need for you and your spouse. Compared to the $300+ price tag that’s common for online divorce services, OnlineDivorce is a bargain.
Unfortunately, OnlineDivorce is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau, so you’re taking a risk when you buy their services. Their website is outdated and challenging to navigate, making it a poor choice if you’re not internet-savvy.
When money is the only thing standing in your way to divorce, OnlineDivorce can be a good choice. However, the internet is full of negative reviews for their service – if you can spare the extra cash, consider one of the more reliable options on this list.
- Few online divorce services are as inexpensive as OnlineDivorce
- The divorce process is self-paced, so you can take your time filling out the paperwork
- Negative reviews for OnlineDivorce are abundant – if you listen to other customers, they may not compare with their higher-priced competitors
- Their website is outdated and hard to use
GetDivorcePapers is another budget-friendly online divorce service. They don’t prioritize convenience or completeness – instead, they provide low-cost tools for DIY divorces.
Like the other services on this list, you’ll start by signing up on their website and filling out a simple questionnaire. They’ll use the questionnaire to complete state-specific divorce forms – once you’re finished, you can print them any time and file.
The total cost for GetDivorcePapers is $139, a low price compared to places like It’s Over Easy and LegalZoom. In this case, you may get what you pay for – the site’s ratings through the Better Business Bureau aren’t great and complaints of poor customer service are frequent.
- GetDivorcePapers is very budget-friendly
- Poorly-rated by the Better Business Bureau
- Website is difficult to navigate
- They do not include your state’s filing costs in the initial $139 fee
10. Divorce Writer
When you get divorced, the cost is probably one of your greatest concerns. Divorces can be expensive and saving as much money as you can is a top priority.
By filing with Divorce Writer, you can start saving money from the moment you create an account. Their services cost as little as $199 for a couple without children and $229 for those with children. These are their standard advertised prices but it’s not uncommon to find deals offering divorces for as little as $137.
Divorce Writer guarantees your local court will accept your forms. If they don’t, they’ll refund 100% of your payment.
When you sign up, you’ll start by answering a questionnaire about you and your spouse. You’ll enter your personal information, telling Divorce Writer about your debts, children, assets, and more. They’ll use your information to automatically complete your divorce papers and send you instructions to file them.
To keep their prices affordable, Divorce Writer doesn’t offer live attorney support. They don’t provide legal advice or answer legal questions, so this service is best if you’re confident you can fill out and file the forms without help.
Once you finish your paperwork, Divorce Writer will send it to you via email or through the mail. The documents are ready immediately after you fill out their question-and-answer form.
You can make edits to your divorce papers after you submit them easily – just log into your DivorceWriter portal and make the necessary changes. It’s free to download and print the updated copy. If you need to mail a new version, Divorce Writer may charge an additional fee.
Divorce Writer provides legal forms for 49 states – at the time of writing, you cannot use Divorce Writer in the state of Missouri.
- Divorce Writer specializes in divorce, unlike other services like LegalZoom
- You can download your divorce forms immediately once completed
- Divorce Writer is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (and has been since 2003!)
- You don’t get access to live attorney support with Divorce Writer
- You have to take your divorce forms to the courthouse yourself (they won’t do it for you)
- Reviews say their customer service isn’t as reliable as other divorce websites